SPRINGFIELD WRITERS’ GUILD — 2011 POETRY/PROSE CONTEST
JIM STONE GRAND PRIZE MEMORIAL AWARDS
#1 – Poetry – any subject, any form, limit 1 page, single spaced
#2 – Fiction – any subject, limit 1,000 words
#3 – Non-Fiction, any subject, limit 1,000 words
Fee: $3.00 per entry
Awards: 1st place – $100 and certificate. Two Honorable Mentions & Certificates
PROSE (750 word limit)
#4 – Short Story, any genre
#5 – Nostalgia/Reminiscence
#6 – Humorous
#7 – SWG Members Only: Essay/Opinion Piece
POETRY (Limit 1 page, single spaced)
#8 – Any Specific Form (except free verse) any subject
#9 – Humorous, any subject, any form
#10 – Free Verse, any subject
#11 – SWG Members Only, any subject, any form
Fee: $2.00 per entry
Awards: 1st place $20, 2nd place $10, 3rd place $5, One Honorable Mention & Certificates
1. All entries must be the original, unpublished work of the contestant. Do not enter the same prose or poetry in
more than one category.
2. First place winners from 2010 may not enter the same category in 2011 but may enter all others.
3. All manuscripts must be typed on 8 ½ x11″ paper in standard manuscript form. Prose must be double-spaced and poetry single-spaced. All entries must have a title (except Haiku, which is always untitled).
4. Place the category number and name (plus the prose word count) in the upper left corner of each entry. State the applicable poetry form. Number and staple prose pages. Paperclip multiple entries together for one category.
5. DO NOT PUT YOUR NAME ON THE ENTRY. Include one typed cover sheet with your name, address, phone number and email address. List ALL entries by category number, name, title and first line.
6. Keep all originals; no copies will be returned. No entries will be published.
7. There is no limit on entries per category as long as fees for each entry are submitted. (It is possible to win more than one award in the same category.)
8. Winners will be announced and awards given at the October 22, 2011, regular SWG meeting or mailed to those unable to attend.
9. DEADLINE: All entries must be postmarked no later than October 1, 2011. SWG is not responsible for lost, misdirected or postage-due entries.
10. For a list of winners, include a SASE with your entry.
11. Any entry that does not follow these guidelines will be disqualified without reimbursement.
12. Make check payable to Springfield Writers’ Guild.
Mail contest fees and entries to:
Dr. Jerry Wible, SWG Contest
2987 E. Kemmling Lane
Springfield, MO 65804