By Lisa Miller
The Saint Louis Writers Guild (SLWG) does so much for our literary community. It is part of our history, our present, and is sure to be part of our future. For us today, the SLWG presents monthly writing workshops at he Kirkwood Community Center, sponsors weekly Open Mic nights at the Kirkwood Amtrak Station on Tuesdays, and presents a monthly Author series the third Thursday of every month. The SLWG also hosts “Writers in the Park” every summer and participates in the Holiday Book Fair during the Holiday season. This year, they are taking submissions from it’s members for an anthology of short stories, poems, and essays to celebrate Saint Louis’ 250th anniversary. To say the SLWG does a lot just doesn’t quite say enough.
I am ashamed to admit that I am not as active in the Guild as I would like to be. I suspect a few of you might feel the same way, so I thought I should highlight the Guild’s Author Series because, you see, this series is right at your fingertips, just a click away on YouTube. Brad Cook, the current SLWG president, has recorded this series, so folks who haven’t been able to attend can still enjoy the sessions. This series includes:
- An Introduction to the Saint Louis Writers Guild – a quick and fun review of guild members and activities.
- Interview with Robin Tidwell – author of Recycled and owner of All on the Same Page Bookstore.
- Interview with Suzann Ledbetter Ellingsworth – author, editor, and Writers Hall of Fame inductee
- Interview with Linda Austin – author and publisher of Cherry Blossoms in Twilight
- Interview with Denise Elam Dauw and Fedora Amis – Denise is the author of If Music Be the Food of Love; Fedora is the author of Jack the Ripper in St. Louis
- Interview with LS Murphy – author of Reaper
- Interview with Claire Applewhite, Peter Green, and Judy Moresi – Memorial Event for Linda Houle co-founder of L&L Dreamspell and Will Bereswill author of A Reason for Dying.
- Interview with Nicole Evelina – author of Mistress of Legend
To Author series is third Thursday of every month at All on the Same Page bookstore at 7:00 pm.